Saturday, April 7, 2007

Prayer 40% Off



Prayer is 40% off at the 21st Century Bookstore.

I should say that only in the 21st Century would prayer be 40% off. As if it was a commodity of sorts. To some it is, I guess. My assumption is that this 40% off sale is for Prayer books maybe? I hope so otherwise I owe somebody something.

Wonder if there is an after Easter Clearance?

Wow! That’d be a concept. Clearance after the resurrection! After nothing is left in the tomb?! Cool! Liquidation! I can see it now…. Shrouds and linens clearance.

My friend Lyndsey saw this sign a few days ago. I had seen it a few weeks ago and forgotten about it. We are in school together, she and I. The two of us along with our friend Anna Russell Kelly are our own version of the Three Amigos. But we really resemble the Three Stooges. We had a 3 second conversation in the hallway of my house last night. We were all talking at once or in some monosyllabic manner finishing the other’s sentences as we often do. We finish them for each other because one of the three of us is laughing too hard to complete a sentence.

When Heidi and I left Chattanooga for this adventure, I prayed there would be people here to receive us. I never dreamed I would find two 20 something’s who would care for me to see me through this place. Lynds and AR are “2nd Years”. They have been through this “1st Year” stuff and have tutored me along with plenty of realistic expectations and a calming presence when the work has been overwhelming for me. They are kindred spirits who have taken me into their lives.

Lyndsey is the one with the activist heart who keeps the fire going for all of us. I tell her we are twins of different mothers 20 years apart. The funny thing is while she reminds us of our responsibility to each other and to the world around us in this fired up manner she carries with her, she is the heart and soul of us. Truly. A heart that loves more than most. For longer than most. She can argue with a doorpost and it most likely will move. She has an ability to see the “man behind the curtain”. Her knowledge and understanding of theory and practice are amazing to me. I can do one or the other but I can’t put the two together for Pete. Her dreams of a PhD will be realized and she will go on to teach others to do for themselves in a manner that will benefit the communities they live in. I am proud of her.

AR is the funny, kindhearted, best-friend-forever. I want to call her naïve but it isn’t that really. It is an awareness of being in the moment with someone that is her nature. She too has an activist heart for the homeless and the underprivileged. She is uncertain a bit as to what is in store for her after school. She wants marriage and children and feels guilty for wanting that Volvo down the street. At the same time, she is a welcoming hospitable spirit that wants to serve those who have needs beyond their control. She is interning at a church next to the Nashville Mission. She is capable of arguing for those whose destinies have unfortunately been decided for them. AR gives voice to those who can’t always speak for themselves. I am proud of her as well.

I know from previous life experience in the “other” world that we can get sidetracked from our dreams and our call. I am living proof of that. Maybe not the sidetrack but the meandering of life I guess. I want us to all get where we are going. But together. I hope in their taking care of me now I can return the favor in the future. However that may be. I have friends who are incredible stalwarts in my life. I know that. But to have friends who share in the journey you are on and who let you be who you really are, that is a blessing. I guess God knew what was up when these two wandered in or actually I crashed their party. They are the arms I seek when I need a good hug. One that takes you in and holds every bit part of you. They are the ears who hear my "joys and concerns". Theirs is the laughter I hear when I get too excited to talk and end up in tears due to a spittle episode after a math lesson.

I pray our lives will always have room for all of us. Those prayers aren’t 40% off.

1 comment:

skirt said...

Alright, I just scared Otto from laughing out loud. I wonder if I could argue with him.

For the record, if I inspire you, then you must know already are there for us. You keep me sane, without question, and I fear I would be lost without you. How did we ever get along without each other?