Monday, July 2, 2007

Monday After

Ok, so CPE is turning me into an amatuer poet. Which I am not. Some things can't really be told in prose. I am amazed and blessed to be part of this hospital, if only for a while. It will be a lifetime of reflection I am certain. And hard to leave. What I haven't said is that I am responsible (assigned to really) for 2 main parts of the hospital: the children's oncology floor and the emergency department. I have manged to tentatively name a place for myself on the oncology floor. I am unable to describe my experience there but I am working on it. To say it is amazing is impossibly difficult. Words can't describe the spirit there..the "ethos" if you will. Words like "brave" and "courageous" just don't cut it. It is so much more than that. This 6th floor. The work done there is nothing short of a miracle each day. Difficult work to be sure, but oh such incredibly gentle work.

So for today, here is the latest post. This one is a bit cheesy (I think) to begin but it will get worked over I am sure. Just bear with me. Something else will come out for certain. Heaven help us when it does but...

Monday
A fortress against fear
Never far away
A mission sometimes impossible to know
Hearts strong in faith
Spirits rail against the sure foe
The bustle of morning gives way to quieter times
Laughter breaking over bacon
Care in confusion and chaos
Steady hand and hearts
That break sometimes
When they come in.
The little ones and their smiles and their pink rides in the hall
Stopping to “honk”
Echoing each other in chorus

Necessary laughter
Naming, life claiming, love

No comments: