Monday, March 3, 2008

Spring Break and more


I think the saddest sight I have ever seen is an empty dog collar. I took Summitt to be boarded today. I am off to Chicago to meet Heidi and we decided to board her. We told her it was Spring Break puppy camp. She has been before. And she did fine when the lady took her back to her “spa”. But it was sad holding her collar and her leash.


Now for the fun part. Heidi is having me “flown” to Chicago this week. She is working and has a day between appointments. We love Chicago and have been a couple of times before; once in December and once in July I think. So we will hang out at the Field Museum of Natural Science and see Sue the big Tyrannosaurus Rex. Fun times. And then there is Geno’s East pizza. Always a good choice.


Now to stave off an anxiety attack once I get there and land and have to flag down a taxi. I seem to get overwhelmed at odd times in big cities. I did it in DC one year and then had one in Water Tower Place in Chicago at Christmas on our trip a few years ago. I don’t have a time crunch so that will help. I just need to sit tight until I have my bearings. We talked through the whole process before she left. This is not hard. I am 41 years old and speak English (although it is likely my cab driver won’t!). I have a cell phone. I can do it.


I think. I am not so sure where the anxiety comes from. I don’t recall a trauma as a child. My anxiety dreams seem to work on the premise that I get left or I can’t find something or cant’ get somewhere. So maybe that is it. I have a therapy appointment on March 24. May be a topic of discussion.


But mostly it will be good to be. We have gotten some relatively good news regarding treatment and this is somewhat of a celebration trip. Might as well take advantage of it despite the fact I have a mid term and 5 article reviews due on Monday March 10 when I go back to school. I think such things should be outlawed but who am I but a lowly grad student!

2 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Have a great trip! Big cities scare me too... I'm just barely to the point where I can handle Nashville! haha

skirt said...

I hope it was a low anxiety trip...been thinking about you and Heidi