Friday, August 3, 2007

Enough Already


She had had enough already.

I stepped into a little friend’s room today after hearing her cry. I thought it was another little friend but it wasn’t.

My little buddy isn’t one to cry. Or at least that I have seen. She was to have a CAT scan of her chest and stomach. I don’t know if it was scheduled or not. I asked her if she was scared and she said she was. I asked her what she was afraid of and she said she has to have a shot to make her go to sleep so they can do the test. She has had enough of those already too. She wants to go home.


My little friend has cancer. I am not sure what kind and it really doesn’t matter much. There are so damn many these days. They can name it whatever they want to, ALL, AML, MLL; all sorts of alphabet names that designate the types and the cells that keep dividing and conquering. The treatment is the same no matter what. A body is betrayed by whatever is in it and so we invade the same body with stuff that requires a shot or a port or an IV. As if that makes it all better. It may make it better. Or it may not.

So we cry because sometimes, there is nothing else to do.

No comments: