Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Backpack Garbage


I spent exactly oh say 14 hours away from the computer. Pitiful really.

I finished my first year of Divinity School yesterday. I took the world’s longest Reformation Exam. Not hard really. Just long and most definitely thorough. “Comprehensive” as it was described to be.

I went to see our Field Ed supervisor afterwards. She sat me in her office and asked me what my very first reactions were about completing my very first year. I could barely complete a sentence. But I think challenging, personally more than I expected, worth every minute to be sure, I never got to get all of it and that bugged me but there was summer for that. And a few other things.

I was really making rounds to say hello to the Administrative staff. They are a funny bunch and remind me of the good old days when I was in Higher Ed. The staff in the Dean’s Office and Field Placement serves as our friends and allies when the faculty seems unapproachable. With chocolate readily available and good warm hugs, they are the people to see when you are tired and need a pick me up. And we are tired a lot it seems. Mentally and often physically.

So my first action of the summer was to run errands. Which I gladly did because I had time to do them. I took shoes to be repaired, I ate a leisurely lunch. I had the oil changed and transmission fluid flushed in my car. I got the dog’s medications for the next month. I usually hate errands but on this gorgeous spring day, I felt like a real person again. Not just a student whose time is concentrated on deadlines and papers. No thoughts really. A little numb. And realized through the tears I shed with Heidi that I was greatly relieved.

I cleaned out the backpack today. Finally. I THINK I cleaned it out last semester but can’t be so sure. It doesn’t look like it at any rate. Among the contents were receipts and Oreo crumbs. The random Cheerios which are my between classes staple food. I found a Cheerio on the floor behind my desk when I sat down for my exam. I had been there before it seems. A paperclip. A nametag for some event. Pens. Pens. Pens. All at the bottom of the bag. I for once rubber banded them. Why not? The semester is over…. The back pack is now on the stairs in the attic closet. It will sit there until England in a few weeks. Then who knows what it will carry back.

So a school year has gone. It did fly by and I know the summer will go and then the fall and then more time will have passed. I am still grateful and blessed to be here. To be able to reclaim a bit of time that many of us over 35’s don’t get to do for one reason or another. I hope for a good summer and one of some rest. I watched CSI for the first time in weeks and did notice that yes, Miami does have an orange and green color scheme just as Chris said they did. How odd…and I can ponder that now.

Minutiae but I like it.

No comments: