Monday, March 26, 2007

In the Beginning

FirstKingsNineteenNine

Maybe that will work for a Blog name. Not real catchy but it refers to a a chapter in the Hebrew Testament that had meaning to me today. 1st Kings 19: 9. “And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

Except in the Jewish Bible Translation “ What are” is translated as “WHY are you here Elijah?”

Powerfully and excruciatingly close to home for me.

I am a Divinity School student at Vanderbilt Divinity School. A friend encouraged me to do this Blog thing, perhaps so she won’t get my rambling e-mails. Someone else encouraged me as well but that was because I was terribly catty and cracking jokes about any and all Women’s Basketball teams. Two loves, basketball and theology. They do work together in a sense. There is redemption in a free throw. Grace found when you get an offensive rebound and a put back. Rest when you ride the pine. And Miracles when a three sings string music.

So I will post. Why am I here? I can’t begin to answer that question. It only adds to a myriad of other questions. I can only answer as Elijah did in a sense…You called me here. And God goes on to tell him all he is going to do.

I have not a clue. I am not a theological brain. I could care less about the historical Jesus although I find it incredible that some man or men with a message a long time ago could change the course of the world and we still get it wrong. Even it isn’t factual, it is true. I am supposedly “pastoral” which is funny to me as I like to cuss and get just as mad at God as the next person. I just am.

But I am here. I get up everyday and try. I don’t always get it right. I don’t always even want to try but half assed is a half of something.

I have a partner and a dog that will inevitably make their way into this. My friends wander in and out as well. My life is a story and I can’t help but tell it. My head would pop off if I couldn’t.

I don’t pretend to have answers. There aren’t any or any right ones most of the time.
If yu read on in 1st Kings 19, God plays games with Elijah...sort of a 'Marco" "Polo" can you see me now game.

Until the end, when after the fire, Elijah hears the wind.

1 comment:

skirt said...

only you could make such direct comparisons between theology and b-ball. I love it.